Notice & Alerts
Indira Gandhi National Open University
The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), established by an Act of Parliament in 1985, has continuously striven to build an inclusive knowledge society through inclusive education. It has tried to increase the Gross Enrollment Ratio (GER) by offering high-quality teaching through the Open and Distance Learning (ODL) mode.
The University began by offering two academic programmes in 1987, i.e., Diploma in Management and Diploma in Distance Education, with a strength of 4,528 students.
Today, it serves the educational aspirations of over 4 million students in India and 36 other countries through 21 Schools of Studies and a network of 67 regional centers, around 3,000 learner support centers and 67 overseas centers. The University offers about 490 certificate, diploma, degree and doctoral programmers, with a strength of nearly 420 faculty members and academic staff at the headquarters and regional centers and about 36,000 academic counselors from conventional institutions of higher learning, professional organizations, and industry among others.
The mandate of the University is to:
- • Provide access to higher education to all segments of the society;
- • Offer high-quality, innovative and need-based programmers at different levels, to all those who require them;
- • Reach out to the disadvantaged by offering programmers in all parts of the country at affordable costs;
- • Promote, coordinate and regulate the standards of education offered through open and distance learning in the country.
- • To achieve the twin objectives of widening access for all sections of society and providing continual professional development and training to all sectors of the economy, the University uses a variety of media and latest technology in imparting education.
Vision & Mission
IGNOU, the National Resource Centre for Open and Distance Learning (ODL), with international recognition and presence, shall provide seamless access to sustainable and learner-centric quality education, skill up gradation and training to all by using innovative technologies and methodologies and ensuring convergence of existing systems for massive human resource required for promoting integrated national development and global understanding.
To advance frontiers of knowledge and promote its dissemination through sustainable Open and Distance Learning systems, seamlessly accessible to all, including those hitherto unreached, from among whom the leaders and innovators of tomorrow will emerge, the University shall:
- Strengthen the development of the National Resource Centre as a proactive role model for high-quality and learner-centric Open and Distance Learning system;
- Share professional capabilities and resources to improve standards of distance education in the country;
- Periodically assess and accredit institutions of Open and Distance Learning to promote centers of excellence in the country;
- Develop networks, using emerging technologies and methods, with global reach for effective programmed delivery;
- Provide an intelligent and flexible system of education to meet the challenges of access and equity, and work towards development of a knowledge society;
- Forge convergence of all systems and work for seamless education across national boundaries to develop global collaboration and partnership;
- Take education to the hitherto unreached and promote community participation for local development through life-coping skills;
- Provide specific need-based education and training opportunities for continuous professional development and skill up gradation to in-service professionals; and
- Strive towards continuous development of methods and strategies for research and development for generation of knowledge in frontier areas, including Open and Distance Learning.
WHY TO JOIN IGNOU
IGNOU WAS FOUNDED TO THROW OPEN THE DOOR OF HIGHER EDUCATION TO ALL INDIANS PARTICULARLY THOSE DENIED ACCESS TO CONVENTIONAL EDUCATION BECAUSE:-
1. TOO FEW SEATS, TOO MANY ASPIRANTS
2. TOO MUCH ACADEMIC RIGIDITY
3. TOO FEW COURSES ON OFFER
4. TOO OLD TO STUDY
5. TOO LITTLE TIME TO BE A FULL TIME STUDENT
6. TOO DIFFICULT TO REACH
7. TOO COSTLY TO JOIN.
ONLY ONE FACTOR COULD PREVENT SOMEONE FROM JOINING IGNOU – “UNWILLINGNESS TO LEARN”
IGNOU REACHES OUT TO LEARNERS THROUGH :-
1. SELF STUDY MATERIAL
2. MULTIMEDIA TECHNOLOGY
3. REGIONAL STUDY CENTRES
Dr. Rahul Srivastava
IGNOU Study Centre (48028),
St. Andrew’s College,
Gorakhpur - 273001